> The tail light sensor, is there to let folks know when you apply the
brake & are braking

I'm confused. That to me describes the tail light itself, which is of
course important. Not the sensor.

Right. That is pretty much the function of the tail light. There is also a
tail light switch that has a spring on it and is activated when you step on
the brake pedal. But the tail light sensor tells you the tail light is not
working, which could save your life.