Hi david, Same trouble here, I put one (outer) seal, we did it just as you
described here, omitting step 4, as I'm almost certain the entire engine
needs to come out in order to remove the shifter shaft itself.....also,
upon looking as best I could via, crappy online images etc....it appears
there is also an inner seal on those shafts....which apparently does
require engine removal, or possibly just lifted high enough to remove the
few screws on the under side of the case cover.....regardless, mine started
leaking spots of oil under the bike again within a few months after
replacing the outer seal!!!
Hoping someone else chimes in here as to how to fix those leaks the proper
way....