I've been trying to determine why this is happening, but have been
unsuccessful so far.

I am making a site that will be a combination of a static site and a blog.
Following the instructions from
https://www.getnikola.com/creating-a-site-not-a-blog-with-nikola.html I
have set my config.py to be:

POSTS = (
    ("posts/*.rst", "posts", "post.tmpl"),
    ("posts/*.md", "posts", "post.tmpl"),
    ("posts/*.txt", "posts", "post.tmpl"),
    ("posts/*.html", "posts", "post.tmpl"),
)
PAGES = (
    ("pages/*.rst", "", "page.tmpl"),
    ("pages/*.md", "", "page.tmpl"),
    ("pages/*.txt", "", "page.tmpl"),
    ("pages/*.html", "", "page.tmpl"),
)

In the directory pages I have a file named index.rst.  Its contents are:

.. title: Home
.. slug: index
.. date: 2020-02-05 08:50:06 UTC-07:00
.. tags:
.. category:
.. link:
.. type: text

Test Header
---------------------
Placeholder text for home page

I also have several items in the posts directory.  When I initially issue
the command "nikola build" everything happens correctly.  When I make
changes to the template files (mainly tweaking things in base.tmpl) and
issue that command, the posts update correctly but anything in the pages
directory does not update.  If I edit the text of the pages/index.rst file
and issue a build command, the file is updated correctly.  Without actually
changing the contents of the files inside pages directory, he only way I
have of making those files update is to do a "nikola build -a" which is not
an ideal option as the site grows.

Is there some setting I am missing that would cause the build to process
correctly or, barring that, a way to instruct nikola to just rebuild
certain items within the pages directory?