As someone who does a lot of custom video processing, there is one crucial
functionality I find lacking in almost all programming languages I come across:

  2. Having FAST read access to both the video frame pixels and audio samples
  3. Being able to use the CPU/GPU (GLSL shaders for example) to process video
pixels and audio sample data efficiently
  4. Again, 1 code line easy video + audio save function with CODEC/Compression
options

We live in age DOMINATED by audiovisual content.

Yet no serious programming language seems to come with good built in
Audio/Video file Read/Process/Write support.

I was thinking that Nim could be an exception to this.

Imagine Nim being able to read/write common audio/video files with 1 line of
code without having to call 3rd party libraries or .dlls.

There are tens of thousands of real-world applications that require some form
of custom realtime or offline image/audio/video processing.

If Nim runs as fast as native C and had audio/video read/write capabilities
baked into the core language, you could be looking at the new DARLING of the
image/audio/video processing world.

This is my suggestion to any Nim developers reading this forum - please add
audiovisual capabilities into the core language itself.

Everyone faced with having to code custom image/audio/video processing algos
would thank you for this functionality.

Currently, many people run to less-than-ideal solutions like Matlab, Videolab,
Processing to do audiovisual processing with code.

A fast compiled language like Nim with built-in read/write support for
multimedia files could attract a tremendous number of people to Nim.

Thanks For Reading,