Wonderful, thanks for pushing it forward! I did some more on it but
then got sidetracked by grad school and kind of dropped the ball. There
is one more thing though...

After splitting CRAN and BIOC packages up, I discovered that
many of the BIOC ones require other Annotation or Experiment data
packages. So I added those too. They're hosted on the same bioconductor
servers but under different subdirectories. I added them as separate
files because it was easier with my existing code, but hoped to
integrate them into the same BIOC file and update the broken packages
list before doing a pull request. Then I didn't get around to it.

This is a working implementation (just missing the updated broken
list) that shows the new subdirectories in default.nix around line 50:

https://github.com/jefdaj/nixpkgs/tree/master/pkgs/development/r-modules

Any chance that could make it into the release too?
Jeff