On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 12:32:35PM +0100, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> For what I remember, Patchelf is used in most stdenv.mkDerivation just to
> shorten the number of dependencies (shrink-rpath).

Yeah- shrink-rpath is doing the damage.

> In armv5tel, I remember that my binaries were broken if I run patchelf
> *ONCE*. If I run patchelf *TWICE*, they worked fine. That's clearly an
> jnsolved bug worked around. I think it was never fixed in patchelf,
> because there was this work-around and noone looked at the problem
> anymore.

> I think that for arv6 or armv7 the double-patchelf was not required
> anymore; I can't tell. I have not checked how does it work now with those
> archs.

I may have to test that- but it's still definitely something that breaks on my
machine.

> Jokia, it'd be great if you would gather details beyond "it breaks
> binaries", and even better if you could propose a fix. :)

On an ARM system, install vim_configurable (doesn't matter which configuration)-
it'll segfault after being stripped by patchelf. I can't remember off the top of
my head any other examples, but I know that one certainly breaks.

The most I can find is https://github.com/NixOS/patchelf/issues/8 which may or
may not be related as it affects Fedora. My solution is to disable patchelf
since it's breaking things without good reason.

> Regards,
> Lluís.

Cheers,
Jookia.