Yes, this is one of the numerous things that need to be improved.
You really need to look for previous discussions about this on the mailing list and possibly on the wiki/manual.

Other distributions do not provide direct access to texlive packages. They provide access to TexLive-full. I can only assume texlive does not provide stable urls to its packages, otherwise these would have been used. But it may also occur that people working on texlive-new missed that feature (which seems unlikely).

-- Layus.