On 07/29/2016 06:50 PM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
   stage-1-init: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': No such device

I guess that means the virtualbox driver doesn't work with vmware.
(Two competing VM technologies, no surprise really.)

I've never used vmware on Linux. I use VirtualBox. NixOS distributes
OVA files that you can import straight into VirtualBox. I think that's
a very easy way to get started.

/facepalm

Clearly I can't read ;)

2. When I'm in KDE4 on NixOS, I can change the display resolution, but the
change doesn't persist across a reboot. Why is this? What is the correct way
to make it persist? Haven't had this happen in other distros.

Are you sure you're booting from your installation on disk and not the
Live CD? I don't use KDE, but at least in GNOME the screen resolution
is persisted (no need for NixOS option for that). I'd be surprised if
it didn't work like that on KDE too.

Yes, I'm certain. The GRUB boot menu is different from when I was booting the live disc, and the boot menu accumulates my new configurations when I do I configuration rebuild. Changes to my /etc/nixos/configuration.nix file persist. And I've made certain to disconnect the ISO from the virtual machine BEFORE booting and checked it's still disconnected after booting (and went back and double-checked that again just now).

3. I added "firefox" (minus quotes) to the environment.systemPackages list
in configuration.nix, did rebuild/switch, and it's now installed and works,
BUT it installed Firefox Nightly instead of a firefox release. How would I
go about installing a release instead of nightly?

I think NixOS only ships "nightly" due to licensing or branding rights
or something. Others may fill inn here.

4. When looking up the firefox packages, I noticed a "firefox-unwrapped".
What is that and how does it differ from the package "firefox"?

The -unwrapped version doesn't know about plugins. I guess most people
will want the normal "firefox" package.

Interesting, thanks.