On 07/29/2016 11:09 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On 07/29/2016 06:50 PM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
   stage-1-init: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': No such
device

I guess that means the virtualbox driver doesn't work with vmware.
(Two competing VM technologies, no surprise really.)

I've never used vmware on Linux. I use VirtualBox. NixOS distributes
OVA files that you can import straight into VirtualBox. I think that's
a very easy way to get started.

/facepalm

Clearly I can't read ;)

BTW, I did notice the prebuilt virtual machines, ready for importing, which is very nice, but I wanted to try installing it myself just for the learning experience. If/When I install it on a physical machine, I won't necessarily be able to rely on a prebuilt image. It's the first time I've installed any Linux without a GUI installer, but with the NixOS manual, it turned out to be easy enough.

I'll see what I can figure out about installing guest additions from vmware. I'm noticing a vmware-guest module on github. Should be simple enough...