My understanding is that whenever a file is needed it is copied in the
store. All these files are needed, at some point. The size likely wouldn't
be an issue if Nix could build and garbage-collect at the same time as the
eventual size of the data that I do want to keep in the store is expected
to be about 200 GB.

For the initial data reduction I could us a Nix store on the slower drive
(either with proot or a VM) and then copy the resulting files into the
store on the faster disk.