On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:32:18AM +0100, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> But then you have to think about why these people are doing it.
> Clearly because they think they can do something better - which is
> fine IMO.
>
> But if a fork is necessary this also means their voices were not heard
> when they announced that things are not optimal for them - which means
> bad community management. If they did not tell the community what they
> dislike, though, I fully agree with you.

The thing that bothered me a little about your email is the assumption that a
fork is what happens when there's trouble. I don't think that's always the case,
and now might be a good example. Without working relationships to hold our
projects together, we get forks. This isn't a good or bad thing, it just is:
Often it's how projects start before pull requests happen. The *why* is what we
need to focus on. Sometimes there's fights and drama that destroy relationships
and leave a fork in the road, or sometimes there's new contributors who have a
fork but want to get it mainlined.

In this case, there's two important things to note here:

- There's no reason why we're not working together, so we might as well try to
  build a relationship and lessen the fork of what we don't share in common.

- We need both parties to want to work together. NixOS can have the best
  community management in the universe, but if the other half of the
  relationship doesn't want this then a fork will be there.

This is the first I've heard of this Suckless NixOS project, and to me since I
don't see a reason why there's a fork it means opportunity.

Regards,
Jookia.