My $0.02:

* The bikeshedding in NixOS is indeed terrible; in nixpkgs a bit less

* It is hard to abstract over systemd, it has a huge scope. Simply using
runit means also adding a bunch of other services. This impacts all of
NixOS but nothing in nixpkgs.

* Agreed that we should make github issues available in another format for
posterity. Perhaps just copy the text of merged PRs into /docs? (with some
tool)

* I think you can achieve your fork as a nixpkgs layer. Would be nice to
have some tooling around that so many things would be separate layers.

So, I wish you luck, and I hope that you implement your fork in a way that
we can all benefit and cooperate in nixpkgs.

Wout.