Little soemthing I found a few months ago when i was working on something like this . very informative..
http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/ On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Chris McQuistion <[email protected]> wrote: > I think there are some minimalist distributions, a la Puppy Linux and > Knoppix that can be installed on a small USB/Flash drive and can be > customized to your needs. That might be a little easier way to go. You > will be able to change hardware platforms at will and you won't have to > build it from scratch. It will already be there and you can just tweak a > couple settings on it and have it boot a basically read-only system that can > be reset to defaults every time the machine reboots. > Chris > > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Jim_Peterson <[email protected]> > wrote: >> >> Hey Y'all! >> >> I'm going to do a custom OS for our library, and I figure the best way >> to get what we need is to make it myself. Since the stations this is >> going on only have to be able to render a web page w/Flash, JavaScript >> and Java, all we really need is a hardware OS and a browser. I'll >> likely go with Firefox as a browser, and these machines will have no >> Internet access at all - only internal network. I'm not worried about >> a minimalist approach to the OS, but the ITX machines this is going on >> will have an Atom processor, 1GB RAM, onboard video, an internal 8GB >> CF card for a hard drive, and be fanless; essentially a solid-state >> computer that might draw 30 Watts at a full load. >> >> So, picking the brains of you who have been doing this longer than I, >> and not to start a Flamefest, which would be easier? Keep in mind that >> I am not afraid of the command line, but do remember that I have never >> started with this little before! >> > > > > > --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
