On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Greg Donald <[email protected]> wrote: > > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Jim_Peterson <[email protected]> > wrote: >> >> Hey Y'all! >> >> I'm going to do a custom OS for our library, and I figure the best way >> to get what we need is to make it myself. Since the stations this is >> going on only have to be able to render a web page w/Flash, JavaScript >> and Java, all we really need is a hardware OS and a browser. I'll >> likely go with Firefox as a browser, and these machines will have no >> Internet access at all - only internal network. I'm not worried about >> a minimalist approach to the OS, but the ITX machines this is going on >> will have an Atom processor, 1GB RAM, onboard video, an internal 8GB >> CF card for a hard drive, and be fanless; essentially a solid-state >> computer that might draw 30 Watts at a full load. >> >> So, picking the brains of you who have been doing this longer than I, >> and not to start a Flamefest, which would be easier? Keep in mind that >> I am not afraid of the command line, but do remember that I have never >> started with this little before! > > I'd go with a minimal server distro to start, then add Xorg and a > browser on top of that. A source-based distro's source code will eat > up a lot of your 8GBs of space. > > > -- > Greg Donald > http://destiney.com/ > > > >
If you went with a src-distro (Gentoo for example), you could have a server that cross-compiles things and your atom clients can pull bins from the local server . or the atoms do local compiles but simply put the local repo on an nfs mount instead of the CF (I do this at home) not saying that gentoo (or src in general) is my recommendation, just filling in an option bin-distros have advantages, there are some good things at being able to toss bins together quickly and see what needs further tweaking -- -- NOT sent from an iphone,blackberry,Nokia, or any handheld. -- I'm a PC(x86 AND ppc) AND I RUN LINUX!!! Linux is like ice cream. It comes in many flavors and everyone has their favorite, but we all get the same smile regardless of which we choose to scoop. - Robert Heinlein - "A poet who reads his verse in public may have other nasty habits." - http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/33806.html --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
