That makes total sense.  It should work and I tried doing that (creating a
virtual switch with no actual adapter attached and connecting both VM's to
that switch.)
The strange thing is that ~some~ things sort of work.  For example, a
Windows test machine can get an IP address from DHCP, but it can't ping out
to the gateway or any computer on the other side of the Untangle server and
no host outside can ping in to the Windows host, either?

Chris