Yeah, I understand that they have things different.  I just can't get them
to seem to work.  I created some virtual switches, connected to a particular
network interface, and running on a particular VLAN.  I would think that
putting another computer on that same vSwitch would mean that the two could
communicate and they do appear to communicate, somewhat, just not completely
???
This would work in my failover scenario because the managed switch that all
the nodes are plugged into would all have their vSwitches configured the
same, using the same VLANs to separate data and the managed switch they are
plugged into would have those VLANs configured so it could pass data from
one host to another on any VLAN if necessary.

Chris