I know this is really old news but chalk up another save of a choked
Windows XP by booting an Ubuntu live disk and moving some files around.

There are two points to this post: the "footprint" of the live disk
system and the dreaded NTFS resize question.

The computer being rescued is that of a local attorney who gave me the
entire "I hate working on computers / this can't be full" diatribe as I
tried to see what was going on.  He admits that he has done no
maintenance; it's a toaster to him.  Diagnosis - it's a Gateway (ugh)
with 256mb RAM and a 40gb disk.  Disk partitioned 6gb vfat, 34gb NTFS;
C-drive now full, D-drive almost completely empty.  Attorney expected
the recurring "drive full" errors to just go away.

Ubuntu 9.04 did boot but took quite a while what with there being only
256mb of RAM.  Point being that we've come to be spoiled by more recent
computers having GBs plural.  Could the group suggest a live disk tool
to run in more modest circumstances; maybe even CLI only??

I _really_ don't want to reinstall XP if I can help it.  The client's
email is a particular concern.  Given that the incumbent NTFS partition
is real big and not being used to any extent, does anybody trust parted
to make the NTFS partition smaller?  I know that parted can make the
vfat partition larger.   Hmmmmm, do I back all the files off of the NTFS
partition; blow it away and expand the vfat as big as possible?

Howard