I know that older versions of VMware server would let you do that, but they
removed that ability in more recent versions.

You can user vmware's free converter to convert an OS off a physical drive
into an image file, though.  I've done this a few times to do P2V
conversions.  I even used it to rescue an OS from a dead laptop once.

Chris