Thanks everyone,
  Yes, what I am looking at doing is buying a new computer with OS installed
and then, before ever booting it, put in a blank HD and install linux.  Then
use VM software of some kind to boot off the original HD with that other
OS.  What would be ideal would be to do what I did on my Macbook for over a
year, dual boot machine where I could boot MacOSX or WindowsXP and if I
booted MacOSX I could then run WindowsXP in a VM off the other boot
partition.  It worked very well.

Andy