The Pentium D's and some of the really low end Core 2's do not have hardware
virtualization on the chip.  Intel calls this Intel VT, AMD calls it AMD-V.
 There are some programs that do software (para) virtualization and don't
require this built into the CPU, but most virtualization software requires
it and it makes a noticeable performance difference.

All recent AMD chips have this built in, only Core 2 Duo and above have it
on the Intel side.  If you're considering virtualization now or sometime in
the future, make sure you get the CPU that can handle it.

Chris