On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Andrew Farnsworth <farn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Chris McQuistion <cmcquist...@watkins.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> The Pentium D's and some of the really low end Core 2's do not have
>> hardware virtualization on the chip.  Intel calls this Intel VT, AMD calls
>> it AMD-V.  There are some programs that do software (para) virtualization
>> and don't require this built into the CPU, but most virtualization software
>> requires it and it makes a noticeable performance difference.
>> All recent AMD chips have this built in, only Core 2 Duo and above have it
>> on the Intel side.  If you're considering virtualization now or sometime in
>> the future, make sure you get the CPU that can handle it.
>> Chris
>
> The E6300 which I am considering does include it according to Intel's fact
> page.
>
> Thanks for the advice though.
>
> Andy

make sure the chipset/mb will enable the cpu features you want
the cpu having the flag does not mean it will do the function if the
chipset doesnt

--
-- NOT sent from an iphone,blackberry,Nokia, or any handheld. --

I'm a PC(x86 AND ppc)
AND I RUN LINUX!!!
Linux is like ice cream. It comes in many flavors and everyone has
their favorite, but we all get the same smile regardless of which we
choose to scoop.
-
Arthur Brisbane  - "A good friend can tell you what is the matter with
you in a minute. He may not seem such a g... -
http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26803.html