Greg Donald wrote:
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Don Delp <[email protected]> wrote:
I have to admit to being a procrastinator, but I feel that I won't be
able to hold off on switching to KDE 4 for much longer. I've been
running Kubuntu 8.04 happily with KDE 3.5, but some applications (eg.
Amarok) are only being updated for KDE4. When I first tried 4, I was
not impressed. Has anyone else made the switch that can tell me that
the water's fine?
I tried 4.0, 4.1 and then 4.2, when each came out. Every version was
really messed up for me. When I complained I was told to try Suse
(rather than Ubuntu) if I wanted a "good KDE install". Suse is
rpm-based, so I never did.
I've stuck to KDE, even though I put GNOME on my wife's computer,
because I like the way it works. I can get by in GNOME, but it feels
dumbed down to me. Things don't seem to have enough right-click
options. Often, keys that I would expect to do something just don't
respond in certain situations. I don't have it in front of me atm,
but I remember having a hard time deleting dead entries from my wife's
Program menu. The way it switched from being right-click driven to
having buttons on the interface and back again to perform tasks seemed
to be very arbitrary.
I'm also not against other window managers. I've heard nice things
about xfce, but the way it's configured on MythBuntu doesn't thrill
me.
I got used to Gnome over time. I had the same issues you describe..
seemed too simplistic. But now a few years later I really value the
simplicity. As I get older I'm starting to care less about fancy
right-click menus and more about getting things done so I can move on
to whatever is next. Gnome seems right for me, right now.
Amen, Greg.
Was a long time Mandrake / Mandriva user with KDE. Also had FVWM2 on a
multi-monitor system for a long time. Switched to Ubuntu a few years
ago and became comfortable with that Gnome.
But now I am trying to renew / revive my five monitor system(s) and
these desktop managers are getting in the way. Compiz and
NetworkManager are both a pox upon us all. I understand that "they"
keep trying to gentrify linux to appeal to the muggles.
Meanwhile, I keep hearing the siren song of Slackware, Arch and others.
Hadn't thought about FVWM2 in quite a while. hmmmm.
Howard
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en