What Paul has outlined has been my experience as well. It just isn't
meant for a "corporate" environment. I have to wonder, though, how
Micro$oft can't see that the line between home & corporate is being
blurred by streaming media & file servers at home. Oh, wait. Never mind.
They still have Steve Ballmer running the show.
Jim Peterson
On 05/02/2013 12:08 AM, Paul Boniol wrote:
I set up my daughter on a Windows 8 laptop just after Christmas. ><
At the time, there was very little help online.
She started setting it up before I got in with her. She set it to use
Windows Live login (or whatever they are calling it these days) as
"recommended" rather than local accounts.
I had to set her up to print to a Windows share with local
username/password. It took hours of looking, trying different things,
etc.
There were different issues. The first thing I finally found was I
needed to tell Windows 8 that it was a home network, not a public
network (Windows 8 defaulted to a public network without asking, and
as expected won't connect to a share in a "public place"). I would
assume you would need to set it up as a work network.
Then I had to mount a share, caching credentials. This allowed me to
finally see the printer share. (If you only have a printer share, I
think you need to find some other way of entering credentials before
you can see the printer share...)
It has been too long since I did it to recall all the exact steps.
This should get you pointed in the right direction and avoid a few
hours of my trial and error.
My experience with Windows 8... Fine if you want to browse the web, do
email, Facebook and whatever other tablet apps. If you need to do
anything beyond the utmost basic usage... prepare for lots of trial
and error, ripping your hair out seeing settings you can't change, and
total frustration. (Extremely so if you do not have a touch screen.)
Paul
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Howard White <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
On 04/30/2013 03:32 PM, andrew mcelroy wrote:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sharing-files-printers-help#sharing-files-and-printers=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1
Yeah, I saw that. Contrast against:
<http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/Linux-with-Windows-8>
Howard
--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
<mailto:nlug-talk%[email protected]>
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to [email protected]
<mailto:nlug-talk%[email protected]>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.