openSUSE 12.3, 64 bit, KDE (via startkde& in .vnc/xstartup) Ah, here's something, openSUSE is running TigerVNC Server 1.2.80; I've run TightVNC server in the past. vncserver -geometry 1585x790 -depth 16 -from 127.0.0.1 -localhost Ports forwarded through OpenSSH on Windows side. (through Reflection for UNIX 12.0 terminal emulation program) I have been using Tight VNC Viewer, Windows, 2.7.7.0 (new install, just downloaded). With the discovery that it is TigerVNC, I have installed and verified that it has the same problem under TigerVNC Viewe as well.
I have tried running X over SSH with compression in the past. It was like move the cursor, wait about 30 seconds for it to finish moving, see if it is where you hoped it would land, etc. Just not very responsive. I haven't tried it lately but I am pretty sure it was a network bandwidth issue. Note that this is not a problem running Firefox, LibreOffice, konsole, etc. under vnc. The only program I have found so far that doesn't display correctly is yast2 and it's sub-programs. Paul On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Chuck Payne <[email protected]> wrote: > Paul, > > Fist what version of openSUSE are you are running? Second what you > using to connect, you know you send vnc, but is it Tigh, Tiger, Ultra. > Are you going from a Linux box to Linux box, or some other os? > > Why not use ssh and X forwarding. I alot last of pain to deal with than > vnc. > > ssh -Y -C youruser@yourhost /sbin/YaST2 > > I have created alias to the boxes that manager. > > Are you using the remote access that is set up within YaST, or you > using vncserver to set up you vnc session? > > On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Paul Boniol <[email protected]> wrote: > > I have been setting up a new openSUSE box. Everything so far has been > > working fine except when I tried to run Yast (SUSE graphical > configuration > > program) under VNC. > > > > It just has the background color displayed. I can point to things in the > > window, the cursor changes (e.g. resize a pane cursor). I can blindly > click > > on things, and have yet more grey windows pop up. > > > > Running Yast on the console works fine. I'm running VNC with 16-bit > color. > > I've run several other applications, and nothing else has acted like > this. > > > > Any thoughts on what could cause such weird window appearance just in > Yast? > > > > -- > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "NLUG" group. > > To post to this group, send email to [email protected] > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > [email protected] > > For more options, visit this group at > > http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en > > > > --- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "NLUG" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to [email protected]. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > > -- > Terror PUP a.k.a > Chuck "PUP" Payne > > (678) 636-9678 > ----------------------------------------- > Discover it! Enjoy it! Share it! openSUSE Linux. > ----------------------------------------- > openSUSE -- en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup > openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member > Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF) > skype,twiiter,identica,friendfeed -- terrorpup > freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein > Register Linux Userid: 155363 > > Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD, an app you want > to package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE > Studio a try. www.susestudio.com. > See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC. > www.southeastlinuxfest.org > > -- > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "NLUG" group. > To post to this group, send email to [email protected] > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > [email protected] > For more options, visit this group at > http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "NLUG" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to [email protected]. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > -- -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
