Neil W Rickert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "J. W. Ballantine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sorry for this off topic question, but I thought this would be a good
> > place to get some collective wisdom.  The organization I work in is
> > basically a vi, berkely mail group of people whom our system
> > administrator would like to convert to (n)mh users.  The issue is to
> > provide them with a text-based/curses interface that can be used over a
> > dial-up/telnet window.  (Since the large majority are vi, an emacs based
> > solution is not a viable answer.)  I've tried mutt, but the issue there
> > is that it rewrites all the messages when you change to another folder
> > (at least as far as I can tell).
> >
> > Are there any other text-based/curses readers that handle mh style mail
> > folders that anyone can suggest.
>
> I am having trouble understanding the question.
>
> I read your mail with the 'show' command, which is part of 'nmh'.  I
> have defined my 'showproc' to be 'less', since I prefer that to the
> default.  I am using the 'repl' command to reply.  It invokes the
> 'vi' editor.
>
> Yes, I sometimes use 'exmh' for an X-windows interface.  But plain
> nmh would seem to already provide what you want.

I think when he said "text-based/curses interface" he meant a nice little
menued system, rather than plain nmh's (or even msh's) "know the name of the
command you want and type it" interface.

Perhaps you could hardwire Emacs for those users to use one of the
vi-compatibility modes...

MH used to have a program called vmh that sounds like it did what you want,
but it hasn't been maintained in nmh (the code is there but isn't compiled).

Dan Harkless                   | To prevent SPAM contamination, please
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | do not post this private email address
SpeedGate Communications, Inc. | to the USENET or WWW.  Thank you.