>I think the difficulty may depending on the TLS library to use.
>When I looked at years ago wrt openssl, it appeared to me that the
>work require rewriting I/O stuff in nmh.  Of course, I was not an
>expert at the time, but I did not see a quick fix to the problem.

Recently (post-1.3) I made a bunch of changes to the SMTP network
code; part of that was running the I/O though the SASL
encryption/decryption routines.  Shouldn't be too bad to call
openssl_whatever() instead of sasl_encode().  Obviously there will
have to be some initial negotiation as well), but anyway, my point
is some of that work should already be done.

--Ken