Hi rfg,

I have a SMTP server on the Internet that accepts the email and holds
it, ready for fetchmail(1) to run at home and pull it down to hand to a
local SMTP server that plonks it in a spool file for nmh's inc(1) to
read.  You could probably cut out some of those parts with nmh's more
recent features, but I also like to send email between home users
without it leaving the machine, and use mail(1) occassionally too.

Some packages/programs to look out for in your research apart from the
normal postfix are

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amavis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamassassin
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clam_AntiVirus
    https://postgrey.schweikert.ch/

They'll mention other things, like Pyzor.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy