>I used to use a a setup similar to kre’s (but using fetchmail), but
>several years ago I switched careers and found myself with a strong need
>to be able to read (reply, etc) mail on a mobile device. These days,
>that means a phone, tablet, and chromebook in addition to my laptop
>(which is my primary mail-handing device for decades now). I couldn’t
>find a solution that worked well with (n)mh at the time, and so I moved
>into ‘mass market’ world of email. I wonder if anyone here has
>found a good way to mix regularly, primary nmh usage with frequent
>phone/tablet email access?

There is a tool which can sync IMAP mailboxes and MH folders, called
"Mailsync".  It's orphaned (last release in 2004) and has been described
as "horrible".  It uses c-client, but is itself written in C++.  I have
never used it, but in theory it might do what you want.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/mailsync/

(This is one of those cases that just screams out for native IMAP support
in nmh.  Sigh.  One day).

--Ken