Feng,

There is no need to worry about compartment numbers to match your observations. The CMT data item is only needed when you have to identify a compartment for an AMT. With NONMEM VI it is no longer necessary to use CMT and AMT to initialize compartments. If you are still using NONMEM V it is time you updated your system.

I use my own named data item called DVID to identify different types of observations e.g.

$INPUT ID TIME DVID DV L2

where DVID could range from 1 to 4 to define the 4 different observations. You could use it in $ERROR like this.

IF (DVID.EQ.1) THEN
  Y=A(1)+EPS(1)
ENDIF
IF (DVID.EQ.4) THEN
  Y=A(4)+EPS(4)
ENDIF

I am not really sure how to reply to your other questions because I dont know which things you are measuring. Do you have observations of G1, S, G2 and M? Do you also have a measurement of tumour size? Please give us an idea of what differential equations you think you need to describe the biomarkers you mention.

Nick

Feng Yang wrote:
Dear nmusers:
Recently I am trying to build a cell-cycle based tumor growth model, i.e. tumor size = G1+ S + G2 + M. Meanwhile, I have quite a few simultaneous biomarkers to characterize the cycle behaviors. Those biomarkers could be calculated based on the population of G1, S, G2, and M. I have the following puzzles needed to be addressed:

1) In my data file, what is the CMT number I should give to those observations (such as tumor size and many biomarkers)? By the way, I need CMT to specify/initialize the corresponding compartment. Since I am not quite sure how to use L2 and PCMT, I tried many times, all failed except the following foolish way:
I create one more compartment to hold the tumor size:
DADT(iTUMROR) = DADT(iG1) + DADT(iS) + DADT(iG2) + DADT(iM)
and in my data file, I put the CMT compartment created (iTUMOR) into the observation of tumor size.

However, for all other biomarkers, there is no way to write this kind of DADT equations. How could I solve this in a smart way?

2) Since some biomarker data are collected based on certain time point, saying t0. In other words, they are relative fold-changes compared to the vehicle at t0. Therefore, I need to save the intermediate population of G1, S, G2 and M at t0, as constants, which will be used to scale the later-on populations so that the model predictions are comparable with the observations.

However, in the both block $DES and $ERROR, there is no way to save these intermediate populations as global variables or constants. I guess, I have to use MSFO to separate the simulation to many sections? But it am not sure how to do it.

Your thoughts and feedback are really appreciated!   Thanks a lot!

Feng

--
Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand