*From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:45 PM
*To:* nmusers@globomaxnm.com
*Subject:* [NMusers] How to scale PARAMETERs

Hi there!

During $ESTimation, NONMEM prints PARAMETER values. At iteration 0, these are all 'scaled' to 0.1. During long NONMEM runs I'm sometimes interested in seeing where my current estimate of parameters are, so I would like to re-scale them back. Unfortunately simple re-scalings like "parameter" * 10 * "Initial-estimate" do not work (except for iteration 0 ;-). If I do this for the parameters in the last iteration, I do not end up with the final parameter estimates..?!

Does anybody know how to re-scale?

Cheers, Axel

Here some example:

initial est.: 0.4715E+00
initial par.: 0.1000E+00
final par.: -0.5854E+00
final est.: 2.38E-01

taken from:

[...]

0INITIAL ESTIMATE OF THETA:
 LOWER BOUND    INITIAL EST    UPPER BOUND
  0.0000E+00     0.4715E+00     0.1000E+07
[...]

 MONITORING OF SEARCH:

0ITERATION NO.: 0 OBJECTIVE VALUE: 0.65915E+05 NO. OF FUNC. EVALS.:20
 CUMULATIVE NO. OF FUNC. EVALS.:   20
 PARAMETER:  0.1000E+00  ..
 GRADIENT:   0.1145E+06  ...

[...]

0ITERATION NO.: 61 OBJECTIVE VALUE: -0.39051E+04 NO. OF FUNC. EVALS.:36
 CUMULATIVE NO. OF FUNC. EVALS.: 2195
 PARAMETER: -0.5854E+00  ...
 GRADIENT:   0.3601E+02  ...
0MINIMIZATION SUCCESSFUL

[...]

************************************************************************************************************************
******************** ******************** ******************** FINAL PARAMETER ESTIMATE ******************** ******************** ********************

************************************************************************************************************************

 THETA - VECTOR OF FIXED EFFECTS PARAMETERS   *********

            TH 1      ...

         2.38E-01     ...

Proprietary or confidential information belonging to Nycomed Group may
be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated
in this message, please do not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender by
reply e-mail. Please advise the sender immediately if you or your
employer do not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that
pertain to the sender's employer and its products and services
represent the opinion of the sender and do not necessarily represent
or reflect the views and opinions of the employer.
ICON plc made the following annotations.
This e-mail transmission may contain confidential or legally privileged
information
that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the e-mail address.
If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying,
distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the
sender, so that
ICON plc can arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message.
Thank You,
ICON plc
South County Business Park
Leopardstown
Dublin 18
Ireland
Registered number: 145835

***Please note that starting Monday July 14th ICON has standardized on the
iconplc.com domain name***

--
Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand