setting a nonlinear CL from prednisone to prednisolone is probably a reasonable
fix, a hill equation instead of just estimating a Cl could work, although you'd
probably need to fix one of the terms in the hill equation since data is limited

Alice.

Alice I Nichols, PhD
Sr Director
Early Development and Clinical Pharmacology
Wyeth Research
500 Arcola Rd
Collegeville,  PA  19426
tel: 484-865-8741/ fax: 484-865-9075
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "Chandrasekhar Udata" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/4/2008 7:57:16 PM >>>

Dear all,

I am working on modelling prednisone and prednisolone PPK in humans given a PO
dose of prednisone. Note that prednisone is converted to prednisolone during
the first-pass and prednisolone is converted back to prednisone (reversible
metabolism). I used a simple 2-cmt PK model (see the code below) that seems to
work.  However, the model does not appear to be stable and sensitive to initial
estimates . Is there an issue of "identifiability" in this model? does anyone
has already worked on PPK of this drug? Furthermore, I would like to model the
inhibition of conversion of prednisone to prednisolone as function of time and
test drug concentration. Any leads much appreciated.

Regards,
- Chandra

$INPUT C ID TIME DV AMT CMT EVID MDV
$DATA pred2.CSV IGNORE=C
$SUBROUTINES ADVAN8 TRANS1 TOL=5
$MODEL NPAR=7 NCOMP=3
   COMP=(DEPOT,DEFDOSE)
   COMP=(PARENT)
   COMP=(METAB)

$PK

 KA=THETA(1)*EXP(ETA(1))
 VP=THETA(2)*EXP(ETA(2))
 CLP=THETA(3)*EXP(ETA(3))
 VMT=THETA(4)*EXP(ETA(4))
 KF=THETA(5)*EXP(ETA(5))
 KB=THETA(6)*EXP(ETA(6))
 CLM=THETA(7)*EXP(ETA(7))

 S2=VP
 S3=VMT

$DES

 DADT(1)=-KA*A(1)
 DADT(2)=KA*A(1)-KF*A(2)+KB*A(3)-CLP*A(2)/VP
 DADT(3)=KF*A(2)-KB*A(3)-CLM*A(3)/VMT

$ERROR
  FLAG=0
  IF(AMT.NE.0) FLAG=1
  IPRED=LOG(F+FLAG)
  R1=0
  IF (CMT.EQ.2) R1=1
  R2=0
  IF (CMT.EQ.3) R2=1
  Y2=IPRED+ERR(1)
  Y3=IPRED+ERR(2)
  Y=R1*Y2+R2*Y3
  IRES=EXP(DV)-EXP(IPRED)

$THETA .......

$OMEGA .......

$SIGMA .......

$EST SIG=5 METHOD=1 PRINT=1 MAX=9999 POSTHOC NOABORT