Hi Nick,

I hope all is well with you - good to see you are keeping the nmusers in
line :-).

I am not sure I agree with your second paragraph as I have understood
it.  When I fit a parent-metabolite model, I estimate CL/F and V/F for
the metabolite.  Frequently, I hear the widespread misconception that I
have assumed all of the parent goes to metabolite, but this would only
be true if I claimed to have estimated CL, rather than CL/F.  This is
exactly the same as if I analyse the parent after oral administration
(without IV) - we don't assume all the drug is absorbed, we simply
estimated the ratio of CL and V to F.

The real assumption lies in the form of the link between parent and
metabolite - for example, that it is linearly formed from parent in
plasma.  It is this assumption that may need to be more rigorously
evaluated, and exactly the point highlighted in your first paragraph.
For example, there can be an apparent delay in metabolite formation
relative to parent plasma concentrations and/or the metabolite may be
formed during the first-pass.

Best regards, James

PS  One can get technical and claim there needs to be a correction for
molecular weight in F for the metabolite, but the importance of this
depends on how the parameter will actually be used.

James G Wright PhD
Scientist
Wright Dose Ltd
Tel: 44 (0) 772 5636914