    Subject: Re: [NMusers] OMEGA selection
    From: Nick Holford <n.holf...@auckland.ac.nz>
    Date: Wed, April 15, 2009 12:17 pm
    To: nmusers@globomaxnm.com

    Ethan,

    Do not pay any attention to whether or not the $COV step runs or
    even if
    the run is 'SUCCESSFUL' to conclude anything about your model. Your
    opinion is not supported experimentally e.g. see
    http://www.mail-archive.com/nmusers@globomaxnm.com/msg00454.html for
    discussion and references.

    NONMEM has no idea if the parameters make sense or not and will
    happily
    converge with models that are overparameterised. You cannot rely on a
    failed $COV step or a MINIMIZATION TERMINATED message to conclude the
    model is not a good one. You need to use your brains (NONMEM does not
    have a brain) and your common sense to decide if your model makes
    sense
    or is perhaps overparameterised.

    Nick

    Ethan Wu wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am fitting a PD response, and the equation goes like this:
    >
    > total response = baseline+f(placebo response) +f(drug response)
    >
    > first, I tried full omega block, and model was able to converge, but
    > $COV stop failed.
    >
    > To me, this indicates that too many parameters in the model. The
    > structure model is rather simple one, so I think probably too
    many Etas.

    > I wonder is there a good principle of Eta reduction that I could
    > implement here. Any good reference?

-- Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
    University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland,
    New Zealand
    n.holf...@auckland.ac.nz tel:+64(9)923-6730 fax:+64(9)373-7090
    mobile: +33 64 271-6369 (Apr 6-Jul 17 2009)
    http://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/sms/pharmacology/holford