Population pharmacokinetic (popPK) analyses are performed regularly, and stand
as a commonly-included component of regulatory submissions. Datasets used in
such analyses are prepared and documented inconsistently, however, with varying
degrees of quality, are often difficult to review (internally and externally)
and as such do not facilitate the development of precompetitive tools for
process automation and data exploration.

A group of around 20 enthusiastic pharmacometricians and data programmers was
formed at the beginning of 2016 to address this situation. Sponsored by ISoP,
the group envisions the development of common popPK data standards for
interchange and analysis. Some of the benefits will include improved:

*       consistency in pharmacometric datasets,

*       quality (fewer errors),

*       efficiency (automation of dataset preparation, facilitation of project
handover and on-boarding, enabling development of open-source tools for
automatic graphical exploration), and

*       regulatory compliance and audit readiness (enabling development of
open-source tools for packaging data for submission).

The group has established close links with CDISC, who have lent their expertise
to this initiative and will assist in its eventual integration with their
system of standards. We intend to develop open-source companion tools to
support the automation of dataset creation and checking. Once this first phase
is complete, we intend to expand our focus to include PK-PD datasets.

On Tuesday, October 25, 5-6:30pm, we will have an open session at ACoP 7 in
Bellevue. We intend to update the community on our progress and welcome anyone
with ideas that could facilitate achieving our goal and our overall vision to
move the field of Pharmacometrics forward!

For more information, do not hesitate to contact Andrijana
Radivojevic<mailto:andrijana.radivoje...@novartis.com> (Novartis), or any other
member of the team: Justin Wilkins<mailto:justin...@gmail.com> (Occams), Brian
Corrigan<mailto:brian.corri...@pfizer.com> (Pfizer), Ted
Grasela<mailto:ted.gras...@cognigencorp.com> (Cognigen), Jill