Upcoming webinar: Approaches to Reproducibility in Systems and Physiological
Modeling

By Herbert Sauro, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington,
Seattle, WA

June 14, 2017, 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm EDT

Register at http://www.rosaandco.com/webinars/2017/sauro

Abstract:
Reproducibility is the cornerstone of the scientific method; that is the
ability to successfully and independently recreate an experiment.

Over the last 17 years a number of successful standards have emerged in systems
biology modeling that are poised to allow modelers to create and publish
reproducible simulation experiments. However, issues still remain. Though
technically solved on a number of levels, the most significant impediment to
achieving reproducible science is sociological. The reward system in science
(at least in biology) puts more emphasis on publication metrics than on the
actual results themselves.

Reproducibility therefore takes a backstage, at least in systems biology
modeling. This means that the bulk (>95%) of published models are not
reproducible. Since our reward system is unlikely to change in the near future,
efforts have to be directed instead at the journals.

In this talk I will discuss some of the efforts we are trying to put in place,
to encourage journals to put a higher emphasis on reproducibility, that
includes both technical and cultural changes.