Dear All,

Is it possible to fix all of the THETAs, OMEGAs and SIGMAs to their estimated values, and then re-run the model with all of one type of data in, /but the other type of data retained for just a single individual/? This would give an objective function contribution per individual, for each type of data I think, which could be repeated across all individuals (and data types).  Essentially, you would leave all of one type of data in the dataset, but have the other type of data only for the individual in question and then we wouldn't have the within-individual correlation problem highlighted by Jeroen.  And we would end up with a set of individual contributions for each data type, which account for the "driving" effect of the other data type.

The reason I think this is the best we can do is that all of the information across individuals is in the global parameters, and it's the within individual correlation across the two endpoints that is really tricky to account for. And with one type of data retained for all subjects, we can then see a difference for the other type as we iterate across subjects, while retaining the within subject information provided by the first data type.  Fundamentally, this still isn't quite separate as one type of data will alter the objective function contribution (i.e. likelihood) of the other i.e. adding PD for one individual can alter the objective function contribution from that individual's PK (and move the posthocs) - but that is because at a fundamental level, you cannot separate the objective function contributions of two observations that depend on each other!

Note that when these individual contributions are summed, they certainly won't add up to the original objective function, partly as there will be some padding dropped from the NONMEM objective function.  However the padding should solely be a function of the number of data points (not their actual values), so the difference between the individual totals summed and the all data objective function could be divided by the number of observations, and a compensation applied to each individual objective function value based on the percentage of all observations in that individual.

I think this is as close as we can get to a contribution per data type (with the driving effect of the other data type retained).  Now it is possible that this approach will turn out to be inferior to Jeroen's suggestion of running the model on one type of data with the other models post-hocs, which would be much quicker.  By breaking it down among individuals, when you compare across models, you will sometimes find that some individuals benefit a great deal from a model change, and dominate the objective function.

Kind regards, James

PS  It is also possible to access these objective function contributions by calculating individual contributions one at a time for each observation type and then both observation types (because all of the global population information is already in the THETAs, OMEGAs and SIGMAs), which uses much less computational power, however I couldn't write that down in a way that was easy to follow.

https://www.popypkpd.com