Off-Topic: Trump used charity funds to pay off legal problems

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-used-258000-from-his-charity-to-settle-legal-problems/2016/09/20/adc88f9c-7d11-11e6-ac8e-cf8e0dd91dc7_story.html

        In another case, court papers say one of Trump's golf courses
        in New York agreed to settle a lawsuit by making a donation to
        the plaintiff's chosen charity. A $158,000 donation was made
        by the Trump Foundation, according to tax records.  The other
        expenditures involved smaller amounts. In 2013, Trump used
        $5,000 from the foundation to buy advertisements touting his
        chain of hotels in programs for three events organized by a
        D.C. preservation group. And in 2014, Trump spent $10,000 of
        the foundation's money for a portrait of himself bought at a
        charity fundraiser.  Or, rather, another portrait of himself.
        Several years earlier, Trump had used $20,000 from the Trump
        Foundation to buy a different, six foot-tall portrait.  If the
        Internal Revenue Service were to find that Trump violated
        self-dealing rules, the agency could require him to pay
        penalty taxes or to reimburse the foundation for all the money
        it spent on his behalf.  Trump is also facing scrutiny from
        the office of the New York attorney general, which is
        examining whether the foundation broke state charity laws.
        More broadly, these cases also provide new evidence that Trump
        ran his charity in a way that may have violated U.S. tax law
        and gone against the moral conventions of philanthropy.  "I
        represent 700 nonprofits a year, and I've never encountered
        anything so brazen," said Jeffrey Tenenbaum, who advises
        charities at the Venable law firm in Washington. After The
        Post described the details of these Trump Foundation gifts,
        Tenenbaum described them as "really shocking."  "If he's using
        other people's money -- run through his foundation -- to
        satisfy his personal obligations, then that's about as blatant
        an example of self-dealing [as] I've seen in a while,"
        Tenenbaum said.

 - - -

--Lauren--
Care About Science and Tech? Our Job One: STOP TRUMP:
https://vortex.com/stop-trump
 - - -
Lauren Weinstein (lau...@vortex.com): https://www.vortex.com/lauren
Lauren's Blog: https://lauren.vortex.com
Founder: Network Neutrality Squad: https://www.nnsquad.org
         PRIVACY Forum: https://www.vortex.com/privacy-info
Co-Founder: People For Internet Responsibility: https://www.pfir.org/pfir-info
Google+: https://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
I have consulted to Google, but I am not currently
doing so -- my opinions expressed here are mine alone.
 - - -
The correct term is "Internet" NOT "internet" -- please don't
fall into the trap of using the latter. It's just plain wrong!