[Much ado about nothing] YouTube Is Improperly Collecting Children's Data,
Consumer Groups Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/business/media/youtube-kids-ftc-complaint.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

        A coalition of more than 20 consumer advocacy groups is
        expected to file a complaint with federal officials on Monday
        claiming that YouTube has been violating a children's privacy
        law.  The complaint contends that YouTube, a subsidiary of
        Google, has been collecting and profiting from the personal
        information of young children on its main site, although the
        company says the platform is meant only for users 13 and
        older.

 - - -

I can't get excited about this. I don't see any obvious harm, nor
obvious ways that Google/YouTube could handle this differently without
draconian and intrusive age verification systems. This complaint
strikes me as an EU-style "much ado about nothing" attack.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lau...@vortex.com): https://www.vortex.com/lauren
Lauren's Blog: https://lauren.vortex.com
Founder: Network Neutrality Squad: https://www.nnsquad.org