To "automate" a transaction of this type you need to have static
storage of tokens. in THEORY any cipher is breakable given enough time
an power. Given that most encryption standards in use today are not
really very strong and most keys are easily accessible to a smart
person (with direct access to the machine) the banks are right. Add to
this the fact that "save my password" and other setting can make a
public systems a prime scrape target (think internet cafe). Let's not
even start discussing packet capture and and other advanced
techniques. Now consider that most "advanced" security technics
consist of not letting you store your password and requiring manual
entry† and no, they are not the same.

Now the reality is that ANY internet communication is inherently
insecure. Even with all the available realtime encryption a determined
attack WILL defeat the encryption. This means that even given the "it
may not be safe to give you automated access" argument the "improved
access" argument is bunk.

Yes the banks are right. Their practice is wrong. If they really had
your security in mind they would do the following:
1. No net access at all.
2. Require to go to a branch for all communication (your kids have
access to your mailbox? what about the neighbors?)
3. Refuse to accept checks, debit transaction (largest areas of
fraud).
4. Have no investments in "risky" ventures like low credit mortgages,
stock, etc.

Banks don't like hearing it, but a rational evaluation of their
practices shows that none of them actually have "security" in mind. In
reality most customers don't really care either. They just want to
know that the crook has to try a little harder to compromise them.

Sorry for the rant.

Jaysen

† Look up javascript "onkeyup()" and "AJAX". It is possible to detect
a manual password submitted in a field using server side session
management and timing approximations (look in your banks login page
source).