I am a happy Moneywell user of the last two months and being located
in Germany obviously confronted how to import my bank statements in
the best way.

One option is saldomat (http://limoia.com/saldomat) which gets the
transactions directly into Moneywell using a on-the-fly generated QIF
document.

The second option is to use a downloaded bank statement which is
basically a CSV document with some header information containing the
ctual balance and account name.

In both cases the payee information in truncated with the details in
the memo field. I already learned that I can fill the payee using the
memorized transactions but then the Memo still contains this
information and this is often a problem because the memo field in
Moneywell is not big enough to display all the text. In Germany the
detail information especially for mortgage postings is quite
extensive. So this is a feature request to provide a bit more real
estate for the memo field in the transaction detail section.

But to my main point. I took care of the situation described above
using a ruby program to read the bank statement, extract the payee
information and add the known buckets for a selected time period. I
now want to generate the best import file for moneywell to read it.

I generated a qif file containing the transactions which worked
perfectly. I also want to include the ending balance to be used in the
reconciliation screen.

Can this information be included in the qif file?

My first attempt to do it like this

!Account
NSparda Giro
D123454
/03.04.09
$1.234,56
^
!Type:Bank
D03.04.09
T2.000,00
PPayee Nr 1
LSpecial Purpose
Mdetailsdetailsdetails
^

accepted the transaction but not the ending balance.
Any suggestion or examples how to format the qif file or how to encode
this as OXF file are greatly appreciated

regards
Christoph