Troy,

On Apr 19, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Troy wrote:

> Also, do most people download transactions from credit card companies
> and match the individual charges up with their buckets?

Troy, many folks do download the transactions from their banks and
assign individual charges to the buckets.  I prefer to type the
transactions in manually.  In any case, it's important to assign the
transactions to a bucket to ensure you are staying within your
spending plan.

> How do most people categorize payments to credit card companies like
> Visa and Mastercard where there can be purchases which would go into
> dozens of buckets. If I pay $500 to Visa, that might be part of my
> grocery, clothing and medical allowance for ex.

Assuming you have been keeping track of credit charges throughout the
month, you would not need to assign your credit card payment to a
bucket, but because the expenses are already accounted for.  Let me go
into more detail....

Let's divide credit cards into two categories.  Long-term and short-
term.  Long-term credit cards are credit cards that you have stopped
using and are paying down the balance over time.  Short term credit
cards are cards that you pay off the full balance every month.  When
initially getting started, your starting cash flow should be all the
cash you have on hand (including amounts in checking accounts), less
the outstanding balance on short-term credit cards that you have.

Now, when you make a payment to a short-term credit card, you do not
want to assign the transaction to a bucket.  On the other hand,
payments you make to a long-term credit card should be assigned to a
Debt bucket or some other appropriately named bucket.

If you have a hybrid card, for example, you have accumulated $5000 on
a card, are continuing to use the card on a recurring basis while you
pay the balance down, it's much more complicated.  In this case, when
you make a credit card payment, you would need to split the payment.
One part of the split would be the amount of additional charges
accumulated during the month.  These charges have already been
accounted for in the bucket system, and you wouldn't want to assign
this part of the split to a bucket. The other part of the split would
be the remainder of the payment which you are using to pay down the
previously accumulated balance.  This part of the split should be
assigned to a Debt bucket.  If it's possible to avoid this
arrangement, I'd really recommend it.  It would be better to use two
cards, one that you pay off in-full every month and another that you
are paying down overtime, than to try to accurately split the payment
each month, in  my opinion.

Grace to you,
Blair