Thanks Kevin,

More questions:

I made a copy of my MoneyWell file and am working with that just to
experiment and get a sense of how it works. I am still very, very
confused and I've read most of the manual, the tutorials, and the
FAQs.

For the sake of experimentation, I've told MoneyWell that I have my
entire bank balance to spend. This amount is much more than I've
allocated on my spending plan. The Allocate Income dialogue box can
see the money in my income buckets now, so that problem's solved. But
it has three columns: Planned (my spending plan amount, I assume),
Allocated (?? How is this determined? Why is it different than
planned?), and New Flow (???! New flow of what? From Where? Why?).

OK, I click the save allocation button and some amount smaller than my
spending plan figures flows into the expense buckets. I can't figure
out why it's less than my spending plan figures, because the amount of
money in my income buckets is higher, as is the amount of money I've
alloted on my spending plan. Then there's the column called "New
Flow." I have no idea what that is, but the figure in New Flow
decreases when I click "Save Allocation." It turns out that I can
click "Save Allocation" multiple times and allocated keeps going up,
new flow keeps going down, but the amount I planned in my spending
plan and as well as the amount I indicated I have to spend initially
doesn't ever fully reach my expense buckets.

I really don't get any of this. Please help me because I've devoted a
lot of time to setting up and trying to learn this. If you can, I'd
very much appreciate a phone call.