Thanks for this.

We have tried this, but as soon has you have add-on modules, things starts
to get complicated. I have made some experiments with webpack and Rollup
and while distributing pure JS projects is not a problem, AFAIK neither of
them support the loading of add-ons, since how that procedure is carried
out is up to each package maintainer to decide. Often the require
statements contains logic that builds up the path to the *.node files
programmatically and those are not easily parsed.

This is doable since other languages has succeeded with solving the same
problem. For example does PyInstaller (http://www.pyinstaller.org/) contain
logic to cope with quirks like these for most common Python packages. It is
simplier on Python though, since you cannot load a module from a given path
(without using tricks like changing the sys.path variable).

Cheers
    //Jan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/CACrfS1Aw6URuuaxrJhU%2Bj%3DR7neDmShvRPgGV2Dd8rL4QH2Fbag%40mail.gmail.com.