On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 2:44 PM Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:

> On 29/07/2020 22:38, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
> > I wanted to get a list of essential nodejs packages, and I thought of
> > getting a list of nodejs packages that are required by non-nodejs
> > packages.
>
> How have you defined essential?

That's what I still don't know and I'd love some feedback.

nodejs is one of the few languages in Fedora that allows bundling.
It's fairly new (a  year or two) and I'd like to push it to it's extreme.

Ideal world (not gonna happen, but this is my 'everything works' goal)
Fedora only has nodejs and npm as packages.
If a package needs a nodejs library, they bundle it, and there is an
easy way to bundle it.
If a developer and/or end user needs a nodejs library, they use npm,
and not an rpm.

With that as the goal, my definition of essential is any nodejs
library that so many other packages require, that it is more work to
bundle it everywhere, versus having a Fedora package for it.

I'm willing to to change that definition of essential, but that's what
I'm starting off with.

> > That list is amazingly small.
> >
> > # Binaries / Runtime packages
> > statsd -> nodejs-generic-pool
> > R-shiny -> nodejs-showdown
> > notepadqq -> nodejs-shelljs
> > mocha -> uglify-js and nodejs-jade
> > kosmtik -> 11 nodejs libraries
> > jake -> 5 nodejs libraries
> > elasticdump -> 3 nodejs libraries
> > discord-irc -> 10 nodejs libraries
> > carto -> 4 nodejs libraries
>
> As both kosmtik and carto originate with me - indeed kosmtik
> is kind of the original cause of my involvement in Node.js
> pacaging I can comment a bit on those.
>
> I wouldn't actually worry too much about keeping kosmtik to
> be honest.
>
> While carto is probably more useful the current version is
> rather out of date, because of tricky dependency issues in
> the newer versions so that dependency count will go up if it
> is updated I think.
>
> I also wonder if you missed some build/test toolchains
> that are required? Only that is where of the nasty trees
> of dependencies are I think.

Actually, that is one of the points of this.  Making those build/test
dependency trees go away.
Not that the tests would go away, but that the build/test dependencies
would be bundled in a tarball.
Each time you update your nodejs library, you run the script that
re-makes the build-test tarball.
During the build, they would be untarred, build and tests would be
run, and they go away when the rpm is packaged.

Troy