Send Notepad-plus-plus mailing list submissions to
        notepad-plus-plus@lists.sourceforge.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/notepad-plus-plus
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        notepad-plus-plus-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
        notepad-plus-plus-ow...@lists.sourceforge.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Notepad-plus-plus digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: 'Will be able' or       'are able'?
      (SourceForge.net)
   2. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without BOM bug? (SourceForge.net)
   3. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without BOM bug? (SourceForge.net)
   4. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: 'Will be able' or       'are able'?
      (SourceForge.net)
   5. [notepad-plus - Help] Saving a file after change by someone
      else (SourceForge.net)
   6. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: Saving a file after     change by
      someone else (SourceForge.net)
   7. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: Saving a file after     change by
      someone else (SourceForge.net)
   8. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without BOM bug? (SourceForge.net)
   9. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: 'Will be able' or       'are able'?
      (SourceForge.net)
  10. [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without BOM bug? (SourceForge.net)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:58:45 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: 'Will be able'
        or      'are able'?
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6060838.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6060838
By: donho

> In the preferences dialog I can just set the format for a new file,
> not for a file I open. So this will be implemented later? 

It's implemented and it will be in the next release.
If user set new file's encoding as utf8 w/o BOM, then I suppose that an opened
ANSI file should be set as utf w/o BOM.

> Somehow I can't get rid of the feeling that it worked before I installed the
last update ...

I ensure you it's not true.

Don

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:05:08 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without
        BOM bug?
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6060895.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6060895
By: egg00

Not exactly. I'm not an expert on encodings, but as far as I understood, a utf-8
encoded file without utf-8 carachters in it is exactly the same as a ANSI-file
with the same content.
So there is no need for conversion. Just if I enter a utf-8 character (and that
would obviously mean that I want to save the file as utf-8), it should recognize
that and change the file-format to utf-8 when I save.

Actually, if there is really no way to distinguish between a ANSI-file and the
same utf-8 encoded file without utf-8 characters, I don't see the point in 
encoding
a file in ANSI. It could just always be encoded in utf-8 and it would be an
ANSI-file if no utf-8 character in it and a utf-8 encoded file if there are
some characters.

The point is, right now if I open a utf-8 encoded file without utf-8 characters
nor BOM, and I enter some utf-8 characters and save it, the file is being 
destroyed.
Some other editors managed to solve this problem as far as I could read in the
discussion, so obviously for me it sounds like a bug.

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:13:28 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without
        BOM bug?
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6060961.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6060961
By: donho

> Perhaps I have misunderstood something, but unless there is a BOM
> or an UTF-8 character, isn't the file ANSI? That's one of the reasons
> for using a BOM, isn't it? 
> If I am mistaken, please say so, but it does not sound to me like this is
a bug.
> How can Notepad++ know that a file is UTF-8 if there is no UTF-8 character
nor a BOM to tell it?

Totally agree with you.
That's why I said it's not a bug for me.

However, it could be convenient for some to make UTF-8 w/o BOM encoding when
open an ansi file, in case that non ASCII characters could be encoding
in Unicode.

> Personally, I think this would cause many more problems than it would solve.

If new document encoding is set as UTF8 w/o BOM, then all opened ansi file will
be open in this mode. If there's no non ASCII characters typed, then the file
is always saved as ANSI. So there's no problem.

Don

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:29:52 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: 'Will be able'
        or      'are able'?
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6061095.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6061095
By: egg00

Sounds really good. How long do you think it will take till the next release?
About a week, or more like half a year?
I have no feeling for release-times with Notepad, sorry for that ;-).

Thanks again for your help.

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 21:32:55 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] Saving a file after
        change by someone else
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6061505.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6061505
By: egg00

Hello

Following case:
I open a file in Notepad++. I do my changes and then save the file. Now the
save-icon is deactivated.

Now I open the file in another application, change and save it there. I go back
to Notepad++

A message box shows up explaining that the files has been changed and where
I am asked if I want to reload the file or not. If I click on 'don't reload',
the message box disapears.

Now the save-icon is still deactivated. In my humble opinion it should be 
activated
now, because actually there are some differences between the file opened in
Notepad++ and the saved file.

Just for the record
 - Mathias

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:15:40 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: Saving a file
        after   change by someone else
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6061980.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6061980
By: jaloola

OK, let's think for a minute.

You open a file in Notepad++, save it with Notepad++, and then again with 
another
software.

Then, you go back to Notepad++ and they ask you if you want to reload the file.
If you say Yes, then your previous work is gone.

If you say no, then you get your previous work kept.

But you chose for Notepad++ to ignore your "new work" so they are counting that
the file will be reverted back to the previous state later probably...

I don't know, really...

But that's what I think...

Allen Zhu
allen.jalo...@gmail.com

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:16:14 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: Saving a file
        after   change by someone else
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6061995.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6061995
By: jaloola

I'm sorry if this doesn't help...

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 01:54:22 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without
        BOM bug?
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6064591.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6064591
By: donho

> Perhaps I have misunderstood something, but unless there is a BOM
> or an UTF-8 character, isn't the file ANSI? That's one of the reasons
> for using a BOM, isn't it? 
> If I am mistaken, please say so, but it does not sound to me like this is
a bug.
> How can Notepad++ know that a file is UTF-8 if there is no UTF-8 character
nor a BOM to tell it?

Totally agree with you.
That's why I said it's not a bug for me.

However, it could be convenient for some to make UTF-8 w/o BOM encoding when
open an ansi file, in case that non ASCII characters could be encoding
in Unicode.

> Personally, I think this would cause many more problems than it would solve.

If new document encoding is set as UTF8 w/o BOM, then all opened ansi file will
be open in this mode. If there's no non ASCII characters typed, then the file
is always saved as ANSI. So there's no problem.

Don

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:01:01 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: 'Will be able'
        or      'are able'?
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6064628.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6064628
By: donho

> I have no feeling for release-times with Notepad, sorry for that ;-). 

Not sure what you want to say.


> About a week, or more like half a year? 

You can see Notepad++ release frequency on the Download section, it's quite
easy to check for everybody.

If you don't want to wait, you can modify the source code yourself to suit your
need. After all it's an open source project.

Don

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:11:15 +0000
From: "SourceForge.net" <nore...@sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Notepad-plus-plus] [notepad-plus - Help] RE: UTF-8 without
        BOM bug?
To: nore...@sourceforge.net
Message-ID: <6064694.331...@sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"


Read and respond to this message at: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6064694
By: donho

> The point is, right now if I open a utf-8 encoded file without utf-8 
> characters
nor BOM,
> and I enter some utf-8 characters and save it, the file is being destroyed.

A file w/o BOM neither utf-8 characters should be an ANSI file, IMO it's quite
obvious.
The behaviour to process such file depends on editor, that's another issue.

You should choose the editor which meets your need.

Don

______________________________________________________________________
You are receiving this email because you elected to monitor this forum.
To stop monitoring this forum, login to SourceForge.net and visit: 
https://sourceforge.net/forum/unmonitor.php?forum_id=331754



------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It is the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/Xq1LFB

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Notepad-plus-plus mailing list
Notepad-plus-plus@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/notepad-plus-plus


End of Notepad-plus-plus Digest, Vol 32, Issue 19
*************************************************

Reply via email to