On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:57:26 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth <sebast...@sspaeth.de>
wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:32:16 +0200, Florian Friesdorf <f...@chaoflow.net>
> wrote:
> > I think it is confusing that it has a different versioning than notmuch
> > itself and that it would be more intuitive if the current bindings on
> > pypi [1] would have the same version as the current stable release of
> > notmuch.
>
> But that would require that the python bindings are actually updated to
> the current API of notmuch :-). Because they currently are not. E.g. the
> get_filename/get_filenames addition is still not included.

Is it sane to have python bindings that need updates or would a plain
wrapper of the notmuch script (that maybe needs less updates) be better?
I don't want to imply that this can be answered with yes/no, but more to
get a comparison of the two approaches.

Naïvely, I imagine there is a header file and the generation of the
python bindings happens rather automagic.

> > If they would also work with older releases of notmuch, that
> > could still be indicated, as it is done now.
>
> As far as for testing current implementations with older notmuch
> libraries, I welcome people to contribute patches to the documentation
> because I certainly will not test all combinations :-).
>
> To be honest, I don't even use the python bindings anymore, not that
> notmuch proper is able to give me all I need (especially file names).

Point taken, I don't use them yet, I might in the future.

--
Florian Friesdorf <f...@chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083