Hi I have reviewed the patch series within the limits of my lisp
knowledge.  Patch 1: is rather beyond my lisp so I won't comment on that
(and I have never tried crypto): Patches 2-5 look fine with one
bikeshed and one query for my own understanding.

The bikeshed is that I agree with Jani in
id:"CAB+hUn8KhXHTRCdrLe0cT=8mdtz9ZntPFf13mq0iCo4CX=b...@mail.gmail.com"
that I would prefer to reserve '>' for saving a file.

The query: in

> +      (props (notmuch-show-get-message-properties))
> +      (indenting notmuch-show-indent-content))
>      (with-temp-buffer
>        (insert all)
> -      (indent-rigidly (point-min) (point-max) (- depth))
> +      (if indenting
> +       (indent-rigidly (point-min) (point-max) (- depth)))

Is the local variable `indenting' needed because
notmuch-show-indent-content is buffer local and this is in the
with-temp-buffer?

Thanks

Mark