On Sun, 12 Jan 2014, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net>
wrote:
> The question is how do we solve this problem.  The tricky bit is that
> notmuch-emacs uses message-mode to compose and send messages, and mml to
> handle signing and encrypting, but uses the binary "reply" command to
> generate reply bodies.  message-mode therefore does not know if the
> original message was encrypted or not.

The notmuch reply command structured output formats contain the original
message, with all the information needed to determine whether the
message was signed and/or encrypted. Someone(tm) just needs to write the
code to check that in emacs (probably fits in the quoting loop), and
insert the appropriate mml tag (or whatever it's called) to tell message
mode to encrypt.

BR,
Jani.