Hello David,

On Sun 01 May 2022 at 08:23PM -03, David Bremner wrote:

> Sean Whitton <spwhit...@spwhitton.name> writes:
>>
>> Thanks.  Let me record in this thread what I will believe it will take a
>> reproduce this in a test:
>>
>> 1) inbox and sent are Maildirs
>>
>> 1) Compose mail to a mailing list which will return copies of
>>    submissions, with `Fcc: sent -unread`
>
> Since you mention Fcc, are you using notmuch insert?

notmuch-maildir-use-notmuch-insert is t so I think I am?

> # next line is a no-op, because it already doesn't have the unread tag
> notmuch tag -unread folder:sent

Seems also worth noting that to my mind it ultimately shouldn't be
necessary to run that command -- notmuch should notice that one copy of
the message has different maildir flags to the other in a way that's out
of sync with the notmuch tags it has.

> The key point is that from notmuch's point of view the message never has
> the unread tag, so there is no change for "notmuch tag" to sync with
> maildir flags.
>
> It doesn't seem to make a difference if I put the copy in inbox/new or
> inbox/cur, so I don't think it is related to the previous efforts not to
> prematurely move files out of new/.
>
> As far as I can tell, notmuch-new (unlike notmuch-insert) does not call
> notmuch_message_tags_to_maildir_flags, so the maildir flags on the newly
> discovered copy are not updated. Perhaps it should, but that seems like
> a pretty big change, so I want to proceed with caution.

It makes sense to me for notmuch-new to call that function too, fwiw.

--
Sean Whitton