To the noueau devs:
Is there an appropriate list/forum to get support for nouveau,
or is this the list?
The nvidia support forums seem to be for the binary nvidia driver
which I'm not running.

On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 05:38:38PM -0500, Steven Kucharzyk wrote:
> I understand parts of your motivation in how you want to deal with
> Nvidia.  Without knowing what you have or have not done in your
> past efforts and what those results were, my diagnostic approach would
> start by verifying that the HW (chip) is not damaged by previous
> experiments or from the get go. Here's a link to a python gpu test app.
> Hope that helps.
> https://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/download/

Sure, although for now, it of course runs on my main GPU, the intel one,
so that does not help much.

> First things, is to prove the chip works, then that target delivery
> (cables etc.) works then reduce down to your desired working setup.
> Lastly and I'm sure that you are aware that Nouveau is AMD centric ...
> opensuse is darn right hostile while redhat(ibm) not so much so.
> Lastly, Nvidia (xCFG) manual highlights numerous optional cmds for fine
> grain control that's not in  the gui depending on what you're going for.
> ( know thy enemy)

I already know the chip and cable work (although I did swap cables), as
per my original report with debug info, the screen comes on and I see a
mouse cursor but nothing else. It mirrors the cursor on the HDMI output
connected to the nvidia chip from my main display on intel, but it does
not mirror the framebuffer.

I realize that few people likely have my setup (dual chip laptop), I got
it to work with nouveau on my with P70 with an older nvidia chip, at
this point I would *so* love for anyone working on this project to tell
me whether it's supposed to work or whether it has never been
tested/confirmed to work yet.
Of if I'm spamming the wrong forum, I will happily move a better place.

Thanks,
Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08